Surveying Services


Surveying Services

We can help with everything from Homebuyer Reports, Self Build Mortgage Insurance, Licensing & Mapping, Planning Enforcement Notices, a crumbling property, Effluent Discharge Consents and all issues which can affect the sale or transfer of your property.

As Chartered Surveyors we are regulated and bound by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.

A home is the most expensive purchase most people ever make. As an owner you will benefit from expert advice on the condition of your property - whether you plan to live in it, rent it out or sell it. In an RICS Home Survey we conduct an in-depth visual inspection of the property. Our report provides an expert account of the property's condition and highlights any problems in clear and easy to understand 'traffic light' ratings.

Different homes require different types of survey. There are three levels of service in the RICS Home Surveys suite:

Survey level one: RICS Condition Report
Shows the condition of the property, offers guidance to legal advisors and highlights any urgent defects. Typically the lowest priced of the surveys, it is aimed at conventional properties and newer homes.

Survey level two: RICS HomeBuyer Report
Includes all the features of the RICS Condition Report, plus a market valuation and insurance rebuild costs. It also includes advice on defects that may affect the value of the property with repairs, and ongoing maintenance advice.

Survey level three: RICS Building Survey
Essential for larger or older properties, or if you're planning major works. The most comprehensive report provides you with an in-depth analysis of the property's condition and includes advice on defects, repairs and maintenance options.

Give us a call today on 028 90 364615  for a free quotation for the type of survey you require.

We also provide a full range of surveying services to help you with any type of property related issue:

Breaches of Planning/Enforcement Notices

If you receive an Enforcement Notice informing you of a breach of Planning Conditions from the DOE Planners, then we will liase with you and the department to resolve the situation.  We offer speedy free advice on the necessary steps to take to avoid serious action being taken against you. HR Jess has many years experience in dealing with both residential and commercial situations.

Planning Advice, Application History Reviews & Appeals

If you are interested in a property with a dubious planning history or have a general query with regard to any historical development on a site then we can provide the case history information of previous applications submitted and their success or failure at the time.

Change of Use & Retrospective Application

If you have any situation where you require to change the use of building from one purpose to another then you will require a planning permission application to be submitted.  For example, this could be a change from a retail shop unit to a fast food outlet, or to change a residential building  for use as a commercial business.  We can help you through the process as well as prepare all the necessary paperwork and drawings to gain your planning permission approval.

Work may have been undertaken on a property some time previously which was carried out without the benefit of planning permission and now needs to be rectified. We can provide advice and action in order to submit the correct information in order to achieve a retrospective planning approval.

Removal of Conditions – Occupancy/Farm Clauses/Restriction

A property such as a dwelling on a farm may have a restrctive clause stating that its occupancy is only for a person involved in agriculture, or a dwelling may have been granted under other grounds such as hardship or medical conditions again restricting the occupancy of the property. This can cause problems especially in the event of the property requiring to be sold.  HR Jess can submit an application and liase with the DOE planners in order to have the occupancy restriction removed to allow the sale of the property on the open market.

Measured Surveys

HR Jess can undertake full internal and external measured surveys of any type of residential and commercial building for record and development purposes.

Defect Analysis &  Schedules of Condition

A property may be showing signs of deterioration for reasons such as damp or structural cracking. As members of The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors we can provide expert analysis, remedial advice and produce a full report explaining the issues in straightforward terms.

Building Control Issues and illegal work

You may have outstanding Building Control queries which require to be resolved in order to gain a Completion Certificate or the property may have been constructed differently to the original plans.  HR Jess can undertake a full survey, identify the changes,  produce the amended drawings and submit these to the local building control to achieve Approval and Completion in a timely manner.  We can submit Regularisation Applications to achieve approval on works already completed as well as all types of standard applications for all types of minor and major works to be undertaken.

Self Build Mortgage Insurance

HR Jess carries £1.5m of professional indemnity insurance for Certification of New Build properties.  We have many years experience in dealing with lending institutions and their particular requirements and can offer both 6 and 10 year warranties.  This includes production of Start, Interim & Completion Certificates as well as multiple site inspections throughout the course of construction.

Boundary Disputes

Hr Jess can determine the location of a boundary in dispute through the use of Ordnance Survey mapping, Land Transfer mapping and historical maps and deeds etc and advise on the best course of action to resolve the situation. Mapping errors can be investigated and rectified if required through liason with Land Registry of NI.

Land Transfer Mapping

We provide a full range of mapping services for property owners and developers including muliple occupancy units taking account of shared areas, rights of way, easements for services, and reservations and burdens. This is used in the legal transfer of land or property from one party to another. As a Chartered Surveyor, our maps can be assured of accuracy and quality. We also undertake all consultations between solicitors.

Topographical Surveys

HR Jess can undertake measured surveys of all land and property to take into account change of ground levels, natural features and determination of real boundaries using GPS technology.  This can be used to develop a challenging sloping site or provide information for proposed and existing boundaries, also extensively used for the submission of Land Fill application or the raising or infilling of agricultural fields.

Effluent Discharge Consents

We undertake the necessary applications including all paperwork and on site percolation tests to determine the correct type and size of septic tank/bio disc to best accomodate your situation and the ground conditions. We submit your application to NIEA Water Management Unit to obtain approval with minimum hassle.

Licensing for Pub/Restaurant Trade

HR Jess provide licensing maps for use in licensing applications for all types of bars & restaurants. We also attend court on your behalf to certify the documents and the property as required.

Homebuyers Survey/Report

If you are considering purchasing a pre-owned property you may wish to have the property inspected by a Chartered Survey at an early stage and prior to completion. This will offer you the opportunity to have a professional look over the property to advise of any issues that may not be that obvious (especially if a house has been redecorated), and to advise of measures which need to be undertaken to improve the property or analyse its potential for development of extension.

Pre-sales advice – maximise potential within budget

If you property is struggling to sell, we can provide straight talking impartial advice to give you ideas on how you can improve the chances of your property selling as well as working within any budget you may have to carry out some work.

Landlord Support

HR Jess offer support to landlords and property owners. We can monitor occupied & unoccupied buildings and dwellings, identify property issues & provide remedial advice and manage contractors for any work which may need to be done.